The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth

+37
sensisball
demosthenes
LondonTiger
TJ
Artful_Dodger
nickj
yappysnap
lostinwales
des
Nematode
reallybored
bsando
Prothero
HongKongCherry
Hazel Sapling
RossAnderson
BigGee
Senlac
MacKnocked-on
R!skysports
NeilyBroon
jimbopip
Majestic83
TheMildlyFranticLlama
GLove39
Tattie Scones RRN
EST
Eejit
tigertattie
funnyExiledScot
IanBru
cakeordeath
EWT Spoons
George Carlin
RDW
A Simply Mesmeric Try
41 posters

Page 13 of 21 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 13 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Thu 25 Aug 2016, 4:25 am

First topic message reminder :

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 13 Jessie10          Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 13 Glasgo10
Edinburgh & Glasgow Warriors

A Not So Brief History of Time-Wasting   (click to show/hide):

Guinness Pro12

Edinburgh - Fixtures & Results   (click to show/hide):

Youtube playlist of all of Edinburgh's Pro12 action here.

Glasgow Warriors - Fixtures & Results   (click to show/hide):

Youtube playlist of all of Glasgow's Pro12 action here.

Europe

Champions Cup - Glasgow Warriors   (click to show/hide):

Challenge Cup - Edinburgh   (click to show/hide):

1872 Cup

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 13 Trophy

Champions                Runner up
Edinburgh                  Glasgow Warriors
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 13 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRwKYyik1ZsD3_NYcbnfefbOA7hTaw1Oo_88AYpdNDsajawQmV  Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 13 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnVncYalRPIL7Z-Ia2Em4LrCX8uZulmt1PKHCS4z5p5kPxIEYs

1872 Cup - Past Results   (click to show/hide):

The season has commenced

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 13 1347041234 Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 13 1347041234 Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 13 1347041234 Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 13 1347041234 Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 13 1347041234

Last edited by A Simply Mesmeric Try on Sat 22 Oct 2016, 4:23 pm; edited 40 times in total (Reason for editing : Added links to YouTube playlists of Pro12 highlights)
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 13 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth

Post by RDW Sun 16 Oct 2016, 8:50 pm

I can see it going ahead - it would double up as a memorial for the man too, and could act as a rallying point for all those stricken by grief. A full Thomond and a fired up Munster team would be a hell of a sendoff for him.

If it didn't go ahead I think everyone would understand though.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 13 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth

Post by George Carlin Sun 16 Oct 2016, 8:53 pm

BigGee wrote:In the light of the appalling news about Axel Foley today, do we think the Glasgow game with Munster will go ahead.

It would be tremendously difficult for both teams to play in the circumstances and it might be better if the to decision was made earlier rather than later to postpone the game. I think everyone would understand.
Yes, it's very difficult to know what to do and I wonder how much of the decision as to whether or not to play lies with the club itself rather than with EPCR.

It is obvious and correct that tonight's fixture was cancelled, but the one in a week? And then the one in 2 weeks? How long is this piece of string. As a club they have an obligation to honour their fixtures but at the same time everyone would understand if a couple had to be postponed.

One thing is for sure - if the Glasgow game does ahead at Thomond it will be a deeply emotional affair with the Munster side wanting to 'win one last one for their coach'. Townsend knew Foley very well and will probably have strong views of his own about this.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 16 Oct 2016, 9:10 pm

I suspect it will be cancelled. He has died an unexplained death in a different country and there will be legal process to be fulfilled. He may not even get back to Ireland to allow funeral arrangements to take place until much later in the week. I imagine most of his colleagues, players and fans would like to see him laid to rest before thinking about playing again.

To be fair to Toonie and the Glasgow players, I don't think they would feel comfortable playing in those circumstances either. This has been a disturbing event for everyone involved in rugby.

Glasgow are actually meant to play Munster just before the next round of Euro games in December. It could be re-scheduled for then and the league match re-arranged for later in the season. Maybe that is the best way to deal with this.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 17 Oct 2016, 8:58 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:Here's the Edinburgh game if anyone is interested

https://youtu.be/JnndTQQqHZk

Mata is some athlete! Very much in the Nakarawa mould. He could be a real explosive player for Edinburgh.

Watched the whole game yesterday (skipping some bits) and to fair it wasn't a great performance from Edinburgh - I'd say the high score was more down to the quality of the opposition than us doing anything particularly great.  I know you can only play what's up against you and sometimes it is difficult to play with shape and structure against poorer opposition, but our handling was still poor, our backs move were done really badly and there were some basic individual errors (Tovey missing penalties to touch, SHC knocked on a quick tap etc).  Our wide defence continues to be very porous too - they scored from a first phase backs move which is criminal against any team, never mind semi-pro opposition.

Some players were fairly average and didn't really stand out - Rasolea and Scholes among them.  Scholes just didn't really get many opportunities to be involved, mainly because they didn't kick very much.

On the plus side Mata looks like he could be the real deal.  I know it was against poor opposition but he is an incredible athlete with the usual mad Fijian skills.  He is in the Nakarawa mould but is probably more direct - he runs great lines at galloping pace whereas Nakarawa is more about using his power and footwork to charge through gaps in defence and throw ridiculous ofloads.  Hopefully they put highlights up because his tries (and assists) are worth watching.

The rolling maul went well too, and I like McInally at the back of it - he is dynamic enough to power through gaps inches from the line, and managed to get a hatrick from doing so.

I am probably being overly harsh given there was a lot of rotation and 3 players making their debut, but I can't help but think if Glasgow was playing it would have been an 80 points massacre.

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Mon 17 Oct 2016, 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 17 Oct 2016, 9:00 am

I could see that being the case BigG. It will probably be too soon 6 days after the event to prepare and play. They will be fired up and that can cut two ways especially if they can only manage 1-2 training sessions beforehand. The problem I see is they are better off playing at home for a memorial and the match after is away to Ulster. Missing 3 games to be made up later is a tough ask.

Awful situation for the family and the club.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 17 Oct 2016, 9:14 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:Here's the Edinburgh game if anyone is interested

https://youtu.be/JnndTQQqHZk

Mata is some athlete! Very much in the Nakarawa mould. He could be a real explosive player for Edinburgh.

Watched the whole game yesterday (skipping some bits) and to fair it wasn't a great performance from Edinburgh - I'd say the high score was more down to the quality of the opposition than us doing anything particularly great.  I know you can only play what's up against you and sometimes it is difficult to play with shape and structure against poorer opposition, but our handling was still poor, our backs move were done really badly and there were some basic individual errors (Tovey missing penalties to touch, SHC knocked on a quick tap etc).  Our wide defence continues to be very porous too - they scored from a first phase backs move which is criminal against any team, never mind semi-pro opposition.

Some players were fairly average and didn't really stand out - Rasolea and Scholes among them.  Scholes just didn't really get many opportunities to be involved, mainly because they didn't kick very much.

On the plus side Mata looks like he could be the real deal.  I know it was against poor opposition but he is an incredible athlete with the usual mad Fijian skills.  He is in the Nakarawa mould but is probably more direct - he runs great lines at galloping pace whereas Nakarawa is more about using his power and footwork to charge through gaps in defence and throw ridiculous ofloads.  Hopefully they put highlights up because his tries (and assists) are worth watching.

The rolling maul went well too, and I like McInally at the back of it - he is dynamic enough to power through gaps inches from the line, and managed to get a hatrick from doing so.

I am probably being overly harsh given there was a lot of rotation and 3 players making their debut, but I can't help but think if Glasgow was playing it would have been an 80 points massacre.

Thanks for summarising. I watched the first 10 minutes and got bored! Mata was awesome for the first try.

Hard to gauge us against opposition like this and Treviso.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Mon 17 Oct 2016, 12:39 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Watched the whole game yesterday (skipping some bits) and to fair it wasn't a great performance from Edinburgh - I'd say the high score was more down to the quality of the opposition than us doing anything particularly great.  I know you can only play what's up against you and sometimes it is difficult to play with shape and structure against poorer opposition, but our handling was still poor, our backs move were done really badly and there were some basic individual errors (Tovey missing penalties to touch, SHC knocked on a quick tap etc).  Our wide defence continues to be very porous too - they scored from a first phase backs move which is criminal against any team, never mind semi-pro opposition.

Which of their tries was that? I've skipped through bits of the match and their first try stood out as a particular low point. We had nobody committed to the ruck, a fully set defensive line and they ran around the outside of it and scored in the corner. Thats not acceptable. As you say its hard to read too much from a game that one sided, but I hope a lot of analysis goes into the defensive performance and not just the attack before our next match.

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 17 Oct 2016, 12:41 pm

I think it was their first one - they did a  basic loop move (the kind that every amateur team has in their repertoire) and it seemed to completely outfox us, we defended too narrow, and were caught napping on the outside.

Our wide defence has been poor for a long time now but particularly bad this season - Visser could have a field day this weekend.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 18 Oct 2016, 11:58 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:I think it was their first one - they did a  basic loop move (the kind that every amateur team has in their repertoire) and it seemed to completely outfox us, we defended too narrow, and were caught napping on the outside.

Our wide defence has been poor for a long time now but particularly bad this season - Visser could have a field day this weekend.

It's a bit like restarts and lineouts, two easily fixable things we were utterly dreadful at for about 5 years. Makes you wonder what these professional coaches are doing all week!!

Granted, changing a team's defensive shape isn't an overnight job, but when the defence is undone by a basic loop move you do have to wonder whether the defensive system is up to much. Missed tackles and bad positioning can be blamed on individual players, but when the opposition routinely creates overlaps and scores tries without so much as a finger being laid on them, you have to have a sit down with your defensive coaches and what's going on.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 18 Oct 2016, 12:04 pm

I think the problem is we make it too easy for teams to get the ball wide - when a team is running onto the ball at pace into space it is actually quite difficult to defend out wide because there is a lot of pitch to cover and the defence is stretched.

Part of the reason our wingers hardly ever see the ball on the front foot in space is A) our skills are poor and B) defences are usually good at preventing us getting quick ball out wide (such as blitzing to cut off passes outside of 13).

We desperately need to improve our wide defence, and ideally quickly or Tim Visser will be reliving his Edinburgh glory days, only playing for a different team.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 18 Oct 2016, 12:13 pm

Well another issue is, of course, our breakdown skills. We have never been particularly strong in that area and, as you say, it frequently allows teams to generate momentum and enable quick ball to go wide. Contrast that with Glasgow the other night, when Brown, Swinson and Harley in particular made a complete pest of themselves counter-rucking, even when the ball was ultimately lost. The effect that has is giving the defence an extra 5-10 seconds to reform, which makes a massive difference.

Hardie still seems to be getting back to speed with things, and we badly need him back to his old self.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 18 Oct 2016, 12:16 pm

If things don't improve in those regards, I could see a clear out at the end of the year from Edinburgh. Hodge seems to have brought a bit more attacking intent into Edinburgh and once we hit February we will have a better idea of what he is about. He has these next 3 matches as a honeymoon before he gets 3 weeks to coach as he likes with the majority of the Edinburgh squad still available (missing 5 of the front row, a lock, 2-3 back row and maybe a wing). He should be able to start implementing systems (and mentality) more effectively. Rotating players is the other thing I am looking for. Got to get the right mix between flogging and not allowing to build form.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 18 Oct 2016, 12:53 pm

Anyone fancy doing a quins thread?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 18 Oct 2016, 1:34 pm

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 18 Oct 2016, 3:27 pm

Glasgow have got themselves a new player. 21 year old Scottish born Ruaridh MacKenzie. His dad was capped by Scotland. Family moved to New Zealand when he was young. Back Row forward mainly playing at 8 and blindside. Played club rugby in NZ and went to uni in Brisbane making the Queensland reds U20s team. On a partnership contract so will be turning out for Ayr.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 18 Oct 2016, 3:29 pm

Majestic83 wrote:Glasgow have got themselves a new player. 21 year old Scottish born Ruaridh MacKenzie. His dad was capped by Scotland. Family moved to New Zealand when he was young. Back Row forward mainly playing at 8 and blindside. Played club rugby in NZ and went to uni in Brisbane making the Queensland reds U20s team. On a partnership contract so will be turning out for Ayr.

A shoe-in for the Lions tour next year then!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 18 Oct 2016, 3:45 pm

I think the Munster game is a perfect time for him to make an impact....

In all seriousness, this past month would have been perfect for Bordill or Blake if they were around to prove themselves. Wynne and Fagerson have showed some signs but we needed a player a bit further along in their development. Wonder if he knew Sam Johnson who could have put a call or two in.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 18 Oct 2016, 3:47 pm

What has happened to Bordill. I know he went out to play in Australia over the summer but has he come back to play for Ayr this season?

It is a shame Blake has broken his ankle. Was performing really well for BoP in New Zealand until the injury. I still think given some game time for Glasgow he could be the best openside at the Warriors.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 18 Oct 2016, 3:59 pm

Majestic83 wrote:What has happened to Bordill. I know he went out to play in Australia over the summer but has he come back to play for Ayr this season?

It is a shame Blake has broken his ankle. Was performing really well for BoP in New Zealand until the injury. I still think given some game time for Glasgow he could be the best openside at the Warriors.

Completely agree. He's tailored made for the way the Warriors play, and Ryan Wilson is no openside flanker. Blake seemed to be promoted too quickly to the Scotland squad, but then dropped too quickly by Glasgow.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 19 Oct 2016, 1:27 pm

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 21 Oct 2016, 8:51 am

Mark Dodson - there currently aren't any investors lining up, but he is looking round the globe for investment.  He also things Edinburgh and Glasgow are an appealing prospect as they are both in big cities and there's no relegation to worry about, giving long term security.

Scotsman wrote:SRU chief executive Mark Dodson has called on member clubs to back the union’s bid to seek outside investment in Scotland’s pro teams and said the search for suitable partners will be a global one.

A Special General Meeting will be held next Friday to debate the motion and Dodson has been convinced that the time is now right for such a move after previously being lukewarm on the concept.

“We’ll look globally. Simple as that,” he said. “There has been no informal approaches but we have been researching the market for some time. Dominic [McKay, SRU chief operating officer] and I have been to the Far East and America.

“We’ve got a very good idea what the market is like and the appetite globally for sports franchises. What we have to do is tailor the package to see if the same people who are interested in investing in sports franchises would be interested in doing so in Scottish rugby. “We’ve not done anything specific, there is no-one waiting in the wings, but we know that’s what we have to do.”

The last time anything similar was attempted in Scottish rugby was when businessman Bob Carruthers was involved with Edinburgh a decade ago and that ended acrimoniously. However, Dodson is adamant that finding partners to help with the rising costs of running professional clubs is now needed, ideally with the union retaining their controlling interest and maintaining their current level of funding.

Dodson added: “I wasn’t here when the Bob Carruthers deal was done but if we are to take a proposition to market then we have to have the permission of our stakeholders and things enshrined in that agreement that protect the domestic game, the international game and the academy pipeline. “We’ve not had anybody from Scotland who has been remotely interested in coming in and spending that kind of money. What we had to do is say ‘okay, we will fund ourselves from the union’, and we have done that successfully from 2012 to 2016. “What we are now saying is that inflation in the game is running at such an extent that we see a limit to our ability to earn the amount of money needed to maintain growth and our ability to stay at the top table. That’s what has prompted us to look for external investment.”

Getting the motion passed next week is the first hurdle to be cleared. McKay said: “The first part is to get a quorum of 106, so roughly 50-plus clubs, on 28 October. “Then we can have discussions with people from Scotland, North America or the Far East, wherever it might be. Investors have to realise they are part of the ecology of Scottish rugby. We know this is an unbelievably tough sell. But we’ve proved we’re good at working with partners, and there’s now investment going into professional sports franchises of a level we’ve never seen before.

“We’re trying to cap our investment into the pro teams. At the moment you’ve got two per cent inflation in the domestic game and 25 per cent inflation in the professional game, there comes a point where you have to make difficult choices.” Dodson believes the Guinness Pro12 is a competition that will appeal to foreign investment and added: “We’ve got two big cities with two teams in a league that has no promotion and relegation and can be built out from there. People are clearly buying franchises like this over world, whether it’s Major League Baseball, Major League Soccer or in the English Premier League football where we have just seen four Midlands clubs go to Chinese buyers.

“Having no relegation is a big selling point. If you look at the Aviva Premiership, the biggest drawback for owners is relegation. “Look at London Irish last year and the challenges of a Bristol, who have got a billionaire owner and are now finding it difficult to cope in that league due to the transition [from the Championship]. “Is it logical to invest money in a bottom-four team when there is the jeopardy of relegation? That’s why the Americans – the most capitalist country in the world – take a socialist view of these things and make sure there is a fixed ecology for long-term investment.”

Read more at: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/guinness-pro12/sru-boss-mark-dodson-we-can-t-afford-pro-team-inflation-1-4264242

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 21 Oct 2016, 9:50 am

Where are the Russian oil tycoons? The Chinese billionaires? The American real estate kingpins? The Saudi Princes?

Imagine if Edinburgh had the money that Man city or Chelsea have!!! Glasgow would never get their hands on the cup again!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 21 Oct 2016, 10:44 am

Edinburgh have signed a random 22 year old tighthead from Argentina.  Really scraping the barrel! He has been capped by Argentina though so must have some ability.

Edinburgh Rugby today confirmed the signing of Argentina tighthead prop Felipe Arregui on a short-term deal.

Argetina international prop Felipe Arregui

The 22-year-old joins from Super Rugby franchise, Jaguares, on a deal which will see him remain at the capital club until the end of January 2017.

He said: “I'm very happy and excited to be joining Edinburgh Rugby and I come with the intention of giving my all for the team.

“Everyone has welcomed me to the club and I love the city.

“I really like the way the squad and coaches work to improve each day, with a view to growing the team and the club. All the groups work well together to achieve the same goal.”

Acting Head Coach, Duncan Hodge, added: “We’re delighted to welcome Felipe into the squad.

“At only 22-years old, he has an impressive CV for a prop and we’re excited to see what he can offer in an Edinburgh Rugby shirt.

“He’s shown a real enthusiasm and energy in training which we’re sure will transfer on to the park.”

After being an unused replacement in the Pumas June Test against Italy, Arregui made his full-international debut when he came off the bench in Argentina’s 26-24 victory over South Africa in August of this year.

The prop, who can also pack down in the loosehead berth, represented Argentina at U19 on three occasions, before receiving six caps at U20 level.

Three of his appearances for the senior age-grade set-up were at the 2014 World Rugby U20 Championship, where his side finished in ninth place.

After impressing for Duendes on the Argentinian domestic scene, Arregui was named as part of the Jaguares squad for 2016 and featured for the Super Rugby side on five occasions.

The same season he played for an Argentina XV side in the Americas Rugby Championship, starting against USA Eagles in a 35–all draw.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 21 Oct 2016, 11:00 am

The Argentines were not the best scrum but still pretty decent. If he was trusted to play against the South Africans he must have some ability even for his young age. Could prove to be a good stop gap until Nel/Berghan are healthy although it does suggest maybe one of them may be out longer than originally thought.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Fri 21 Oct 2016, 11:34 am

I think its a relatively good signing in a key position at a tricky time of year to find geniuine game ready talent in that position. He seems to be rated pretty highly too.  http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2016/04/05/jaguares/. I hope Nel isnt out long term. But I'm beginning to think the Beavon and Bryce signings were risky and we should have signed a senior pro as cover at the begining of the season. I think Nel's durability last season may have clouded that decison.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 21 Oct 2016, 11:46 am

Bryce changing position was a mess. If there was no spot for him in Scotland, he should have been asked to go and be a senior pro at LS.  

Is Beavon injured as well? How did McQwillan get on? Edinburgh are in an awkward position with tightheads. They have a top guy and a bunch of question marks who are young/inexperienced. AS has some of this to answer for after playing Andress so often last year.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Fri 21 Oct 2016, 11:53 am

I see Stade only beat T Saracens 27-0 at home last night.

Must give Edinburgh some confidence that they should turn Stade over?

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 21 Oct 2016, 11:55 am

I think it is too early to give up on Bryce yet - you don't convert to tighthead overnight. Also, he's only made 2 appearances. His first he came off the bench and held his own against Cian Healy. Munster was a disaster but he was clearly badly injured after the first scrum so I don't think we can really take much from that.

He still could become a decent tighthead it is just very early days.

He would definitely benefit from time at LS though.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 21 Oct 2016, 11:56 am

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:I see Stade only beat T Saracens 27-0 at home last night.

Must give Edinburgh some confidence that they should turn Stade over?

Not really as they made a lot of changes. When we play them in Christmas double header they may still be interested in the competition so it will be tough games.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 21 Oct 2016, 12:20 pm

The argentina prop is a decent pick up at this stage of the season. Edinburgh just neeed some cover period, especially as they will be losing Nel to Scotland in November. You can't expect to win any games with two converted LHs anchoring your scrum, one of whom is 10kg underwieight and the other a 20 year old who has just converted.

They may need him for a bit longer if none of the crocks get back any time soon. It does not sound like he played to many times in super rugby, so should hopefully be pretty fresh. The Argies probably see it as a good chance for a young player to pick up some good experience for the future.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 21 Oct 2016, 1:35 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:Bryce changing position was a mess. If there was no spot for him in Scotland, he should have been asked to go and be a senior pro at LS.  

Is Beavon injured as well? How did McQwillan get on? Edinburgh are in an awkward position with tightheads. They have a top guy and a bunch of question marks who are young/inexperienced. AS has some of this to answer for after playing Andress so often last year.

Yes he does, and we all questioned it. He completely ignored Berghan despite knowing that Andress was leaving the club. Short sighted.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Sun 23 Oct 2016, 8:11 am

Well I think that is the end of glasgows European chances for this year (already). Our pack is too weak and I fully expect to lose against any side that has a decent pack

Nothing seems to change in this respect year on year in the European competition.

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 23 Oct 2016, 9:09 am

I am gong to reserve judgement on Glasgow's euro prospects which seemed so upbeat only a week ago. We have not become a bad team overnight, in the same way that Edinburgh have not become a great one following one stirring win, which I did watch and thoroughly enjoy.

I had a feeling that was going to happen to Glasgow in Limerick. From a purely selfish perspective I would rather the game had been postponed as I could see that we were on a hiding to nothing. It was however, always going to be Munster's call and they made the occasion what it should have been, a great tribute to a great man. We were just there to provide the opposition.

The occasion and the uncertainty clearly got to the players. How can you prepare for an occasion such as that? I think it would have happened to pretty much any side going there under those circumstances.

Glasgow have a few games to regroup now and then hopefully we can have an honest crack at Racing. We still don't know how this will have effected them and what kind of form they will be bring to the party either, if Leicester turn them over today, the group is suddenly very open and interesting.

Down but not out!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Sun 23 Oct 2016, 11:29 am

BigGee wrote:I am gong to reserve judgement on Glasgow's euro prospects which seemed so upbeat only a week ago. We have not become a bad team overnight, in the same way that Edinburgh have not become a great one following one stirring win, which I did watch and thoroughly enjoy.

I had a feeling that was going to happen to Glasgow in Limerick. From a purely selfish perspective I would rather the game had been postponed as I could see that we were on a hiding to nothing. It was however, always going to be Munster's call and they made the occasion what it should have been, a great tribute to a great man. We were just there to provide the opposition.

The occasion and the uncertainty clearly got to the players. How can you prepare for an occasion such as that? I think it would have happened to pretty much any side going there under those circumstances.

Glasgow have a few games to regroup now and then hopefully we can have an honest crack at Racing. We still don't know how this will have effected them and what kind of form they will be bring to the party either, if Leicester turn them over today, the group is suddenly very open and interesting.

Down but not out!

Regarding the Glasgow performance, I agree with you BigGee.... to an extent. I think there was only ever going to be one winner yesterday, and I am glad that Munster sent Axel off in a manner befitting how he played the game.

That being said, I do think that the loss exposed a few reasons why Glasgow have never managed to step up in Europe, and probably wont this year either. The pack was once again bullied all over the park and the scrum soundly beaten. Secondly, I believe a more battle hardened team would not have allowed the occasion to affect their performance to such a degree. I know the situation was unique, and to a certain extent the performance was understandable, however the mental fragility has reared it's head before, and in less emotionally trying situations. In short, Glasgow need to develop a harder edge.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 24 Oct 2016, 12:36 pm

Glasgow trying to cheer us up with news of a signing this afternoon.

An academy player stepping up or a newbe?

We definitely need a bit more second row cover atm with 3 players all long term crocks!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Mon 24 Oct 2016, 12:48 pm

BigGee wrote:Glasgow trying to cheer us up with news of a signing this afternoon.

An academy player stepping up or a newbe?

We definitely need a bit more second row cover atm with 3 players all long term crocks!

I already feel underwhelmed by the signing, and it hasn't even been announced.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 24 Oct 2016, 1:02 pm

Probably be Wynne getting a senior contract. Maybe McAlpine will be signed as well til the end of the season.

I somehow doubt it will be Glasgow outbidding Sarries for Etzebeth.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Mon 24 Oct 2016, 1:10 pm

Brian Alainnu'uese from Waikato

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Mon 24 Oct 2016, 1:17 pm

Height
2.02m
Weight
135kg

Hoolleee fook

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 24 Oct 2016, 1:17 pm

Listed at 2.02m and 135kg on Waikato's website...him and Gray will be one big boiler room

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 24 Oct 2016, 1:20 pm

So, a new chapter in The Life Of Brian.

You know, I swear I just heard Mark Bennett shouting, "He's not the Messiah...He's just a very naughty boy."

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 24 Oct 2016, 1:21 pm

Well we definitely needed another lock, so I guess this is a sensible signing. We are about to go into an international window and are going to lose Gray and Swinson as well.

He sounds like a big lad, so hopefully will fit the bill.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 24 Oct 2016, 1:21 pm

Ooft, naughty boy is a big lad! He's only 22 apparently - tough paper round...

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 13 CviCECiWEAAyi06

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 24 Oct 2016, 1:39 pm

It would not surprise me to see him getting a run off the bench this weekend, we are down to bare bones and hard to see Treviso causing us to much trouble. Probably a decent game to give the human locomotive the green light as well and let us see what he is all about.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Mon 24 Oct 2016, 1:41 pm

BigGee wrote:It would not surprise me to see him getting a run off the bench this weekend, we are down to bare bones and hard to see Treviso causing us to much trouble. Probably a decent game to give the human locomotive the green light as well and let us see what he is all about.

There does seem to be a shift to signing some "big" forwards. Between this guy and the American we are building quite a large pack.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 24 Oct 2016, 1:46 pm

In other news, a number of Edinburgh players were playing for clubs this weekend - Tofilau, Scholes and Northam ran riot for Gala against Boroughmuir with Scholes getting 4 tries.  McAllum was actually playing for Heriots and was called off the pitch and quickly transported to Murrayfield to sit on the bench for Edinburgh! CDP got gametime for Heriots too. Jamie Ritchie played for Boroughmuir.

We are beginning to build a bit of depth in the squad - I know a lot of these guys are fairly unproven at pro level but the following team were fit this weekend but not involved with Edinburgh, which isn't too bad given the number of injuries we have (unsurprisngly the injuries are in the positions with the blanks):

1 Cosgrove
2 Turner
4 Charmichael
6 Ritchie
7 Hardie
8 Fihaki + CDP

9 Fowles
11 Scholes
12 Rasolea
13 Tofilau
14 Northam

The other good news is that all but 3 of the starting XV against Quins were SQ - and given that those 3 were Nasi Manu, Jason Tovey and Phil Burleigh they certainly add a lot of value to the team!

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Mon 24 Oct 2016, 1:49 pm; edited 2 times in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 24 Oct 2016, 1:48 pm

He is massive! Looks about GC's age rather than 22!

I don't think Toonie has enjoyed watching the Soap Dodger pack being shunted about, and this is his response.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 24 Oct 2016, 2:16 pm

Shame he could not get Skelton to come over for a bit as well. Between the 2 Glasgow would be able to bully Racing. There are a number of good prospects at lock coming through so hopefully they can get some game time over the next couple of months.

I wonder if Petersen, a good squad player, might find himself the odd man out if this bloke turns out to be something a bit more.

As for Edinburgh, there squad was/is good this season but the coaching has been poor.

Random aside, did anyone else think that within the tyre fire that was Glasgow over the weekend that Hughes managed to have a good game?

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Mon 24 Oct 2016, 2:26 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:He is massive! Looks about GC's age rather than 22!

I don't think Toonie has enjoyed watching the Soap Dodger pack being shunted about, and this is his response.

I think you're right. Toonie made some phone calls and then this specimen arrives...

Speaking of big specimens... A moment ago I walked past Nasi Manu as he was leaving Tesco with his missus - his arm is in a sling. It was under his hoody so don't know whether it was in a sling or in plaster. I wish he'd stay fit!
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 24 Oct 2016, 3:04 pm

Very interesting signing and absolutely necessary. 

Clearly Dave Rennie is now on speed dial with a 'decent Kiwi player telephone ordering service'. Excellent. Rennie has said that he will bring players with him and I hope that this is a portent of things to come (just hopefully with more Chiefs first team squad players coming over).
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 21 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 21  Next